As an internet marketing who specializes in Search Engine Optimization (getting seen in the search engines without using paid tactics like pay-per-click and things of the like), I love Google. However, one thing I can’t stand is the Google Instant feature–where the most common keywords show up in the search box as you are typing for whatever you happen to be looking for at the time. Although this does have it’s advantages, I find it distracting. Here is how you can shut it off.
1. Go to Google.com.
2. If you happen to have a gmail account, sign in. This will change your personal preferences.
3. Click on the icon on the top, right-hand side of the screen that looks like a little mouse wheel.
4. Scroll Down towards the bottom of the page, and find the “Google Instant” section.
5. Make sure to choose the second opt-in button that says, “Do not use Google Instant.”
6. Make sure to save your preferences by clicking on either of the “save your preferences” buttons and the top right or bottom right of the screen.